Ingredients (makes 4 cups):
1kg finely chopped rhubarb
3 green apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
� cup of water
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
800g of sugar
1. Place the rhubarb, apples, vanilla bean and water in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Cover the saucepan and cook the contents for 5 minutes (or until the rhubarb is soft).
3. Add the lemon juice and sugar to the saucepan.
4. Simmer uncovered for 45-60 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
5. Whilst the jam is cooking, remove any foam that surfaces with a large spoon.
6. Store the jam in jars and serve on toast or pancakes.
Hint: to test to see if the jam is set place a small spoonful on a chilled plate. The mixture should thicken immediately.